Rodbourne Road around 1920 is a mass of men as they pour from Swindon Works at the end of the day.
The majority are on foot, but a packed tram pushes through the crowds and the bridge over the road carries trains to the railway station nearby. The large building in the background is the Swindon Works’ Pattern Store.
Rodbourne Road is still a busy route. The change in site usage and car ownership means the men and trams have been replaced by commuters in cars and buses. The large building in the background is now Bottelinos Italian restaurant!
Images: Copyright STEAM Museum – Rodbourne Road Then; Peter Benson, Rodbourne Road Today