The Great Western Railway had thousands of workers and provided employees and their families with facilities, holidays and homes.
The Medical Fund Society building was erected in 1891 using red bricks from the GWR's own brickworks. It housed two swimming pools, Turkish and Russian Baths, a dispensary and a dentist for the benefit of GWR employees and their families.
125 years on, the building continues to serve the local community as a leisure facility and some original features remain - both swimming pools are still in use, as is the Turkish Bath.
Images: Copyright STEAM Museum – Medical Fund Society Then; Peter Benson, Medical Fund Society Today