Wherever an industry springs up, workers’ housing follows.
This row of cottages was built in 1843, forming part of Isambard Kingdom Brunel’s Railway Village in Swindon. In the 1970s ownership of the Village passed from British Rail to Swindon Borough Council. The black and white view shows Exeter Street just after the 1970s renovation.
Little has changed over nearly forty years, other than the maturing of the trees and bushes. The cottages retain their original character and charm. The pub on the corner is The Cricketers, which opened in 1847 and got its name from the nearby GWR cricket field.
Images: Copyright STEAM Museum - Exeter Street Then, Peter Benson - Exeter Street Today