Built in 1844, the GWR School on Bristol Street provided education for the growing population of New Swindon. In 1857 a new infant school was added. The school closed in the late 1870s and the Swindon Works Laboratory and Fire Brigade took over the buildings.
This site has been in constant use for over 170 years. It is now home to the University Technical College. Sections of the infant school, laboratory and Fire Brigade have survived and now form part of the College returning it to its educational roots.
Images: Copyright STEAM Museum - Bristol Street School Then: Peter Benson, Bristol Street School (UTC) Today