Radstock has been settled since the Iron Age in Britain though it really started to gain significance under Roman occupation.
The Roman built the Fosse Way, now part of the A367, linking Exeter (Isca Dumnoniorum) to Lincoln (Lindum Colonia) via Bath.
In 1763, coal was discovered in the area and the town really took off.
Productivity declined and by 1973 all the pits were closed.
Today Radstock feeds the busy cities of Bath and Bristol with workers and tends its famous Orchid collection, held at the Writhlington School.
Images: Radstock Museum – WellsHill1, WellsHill2, WellsHill3, WellsHill4, WellsHill5