For centuries, people with wealth have understood and accepted the need to share their wealth through public works.
In 1474, Maud Heath - a wealthy widow who lived in the nearby village of Tytherton Kellaways - gifted land and property in and around Chippenham to a trust tasked with building and maintaining a causeway between the town and Wick Hill.
Roads in the fifteenth century were often little more than tracks and the causeway provided a safe and dry passage for those travelling to Chippenham on foot.
The causeway she created remains popular with walkers to this day.
Images: Copyright Chippenham Museum – 1985.128, 1982.96b, 2005.450, 2010.200.8