For centuries, markets have provided an important place for local people to buy, sell and socialise.
In 1465 the Abbot of Gloucester was granted the right to an annual fair in Barton St. It was called a pig fair in 1586, but became famous for selling cheese by the early 18th Century, taking its product from the Vale of Gloucester.
During the 19th Century it was increasingly important as a livestock market, particularly for sheep and horses. It also became a hugely popular pleasure fair, surviving several attempts to close it down on grounds of public order and morality.
Since 2010 it has been reinvented as a smaller scale multi-cultural heritage fair, celebrating the diversity of the Barton St area.
Images: Copyright Gloucestershire Archives - NV30.9GS, SR9_49274.29GS, SRprints_GL3.9GS, NQ14.17GS,
Audio and Images: Copyright Gloucestershire Archives – Molly Fielding remembers the Barton Fair.